Skip to main content

Tips and tricks - UK vs. US terminology

Source: Canva

When I first started crocheting, I had no idea that stitches had different names depending on whether the pattern was written in UK terminology or US terminology. 

I first started trying to learn crochet from my grandma's old pattern books, which were written using UK terminology. However, when I couldn't figure out some of the stitches from the pictures, I turned to YouTube for video tutorials. At first I thought there were even more basic stitches I needed to learn. However, to my surprise, the basic stitches were the same - they just had different names!

The following table converts UK terminology to US terminology (and if you're logical like me, you can kind of see pattern 😉). This will come in handy if you're following the patterns in my blog as they are written in UK terminology (I recently found out that most people actually prefer US terminology, so I've slowly been making my paid patterns available in US terminology).


If there are any tips or tricks you'd like to see on my blog, leave a comment below or feel free to connect with me on Instagram.

Happy crocheting!

Anika

Comments