Skip to main content

Amigurumi books I love

There are so many amigurumi books out there, so it can be hard to choose one to buy, especially if you're new to the craft.

The best books (in my opinion) are ones that both beginners and experienced crocheters can learn something from and be challenged by, while also creating something super kawaii in the end 😍

Here are some books that I have in my collection that I'm currently obsessed with. Though I wouldn't call myself a super experienced crocheter (having started crocheting back in 2017), I have learnt a new technique from each of these books.

Animal Friends of Pica Pau and Animal Friends of Pica Pau 2 by Yan Schenkel

Animal Friends of Pica Pau
In each book, Yan introduces crocheters to 20 cute and colourful characters. So far I've made 10 - one day I'll get around to making all of them 😁 This book taught me about the 'x-shaped' single crochet*, which results in a tighter stitch that is straighter than the regular 'v-shaped' single crochet.

* single crochet is known as a double crochet in UK terminology.

Hooked on Amigurumi by Melanie Morita

Hooked on Amigurumi
Founder of Knot Too Shabby Crochet, Melanie, shows how to make 40 small plushies inspired by the beach, fairytales, food, and drinks. They are super quick to work up and there's little to no sewing required (for a lot of crocheters, sewing is the least liked part of amigurumi). From this book, I learnt some tricks to minimise sewing 😄 I used this trick in my FREE sun pattern found here on my blog.

Sweet Crochet Friends by Khuc Cay

Sweet Crochet Friends
Khuc Cay has created 16 adorable friends that everyone will fall in love with. I can say I have definitely fallen in love with my first creation from the book - Titou the Tiger 🐯 Each character in the book is accompanied by a kawaii illustration by Khuc Cay (***gushing at how talented she is!***). Though I have come across the mattress stitch in knitting, this book taught me that the mattress stitch can be used for amigurumi. It's super useful for sewing two open-ended pieces together! I recommend this YouTube video if you're interested in learning.

Let me know in the comments below if you've made something from these books or if you have any book recommendations.

Anika x

Comments